Tyne and Wear HER(12897): Pallion, River Wear, Cretehauser (Cretehawser) - Details
Pallion, River Wear, Cretehauser (Cretehawser)
The hulk of a concrete ship, thought to be the tug Cretehauser, in the intertidal mudflats. Built for the admiralty in 1918-19 by the Sunderland Concrete Building Company, a subsidiary of Swan Hunters, based at Southwick.
Entec UK Limited, November 2009, Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor - New Wear Crossing, Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment, page 14; Tyne and Wear Archives, The Sunderland Concrete Building Company, DS.SWH/3/13; www.sunderlandmaritimeheritage.org.uk/Ships/CreteHawser/cretehaser.html; National Monuments Record: MONUMENT NUMBER: 1367408; World Wide Web page http://www.mareud.mine.nu/Ferro-Concrete/wear_concrete_building_co.html [25-OCT-2002] http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/Public/Editable/Themes/Visitors-Guide/History/ [25-OCT-2002] The Northern Echo, 20-NOV-2003, Page 13; Ian Ayris and Stafford M Linsley 1994 A guide to the industrial archaeology of Tyne and Wear, Page 81