Tyne and Wear HER(1290): Newburn Hall - Details
In the 16th century the medieval tower (HER ref. 1289) was enlarged by the addition of a wing to the North and later by a wing to the East. The 16th century addition was 40 feet long, 2 storeys high and connected to the tower. There were 3 fireplaces in its ground floor room, The South wing was demolished, unrecorded, in 1891 and the East wing apparently burnt down. The rest came to be sited in Spencer's Steel Works. Before the clearance of the site in the 1920s, it was used as a store for the pattern-shop. In 1765 Mrs Lydia Bell, a widow, was living there. A later resident was Mrs Elizabeth Hall (1855).
<< HER 1290 >> W.H. Knowles, 1915, 'Newburn Hall' and 'Manor House', Northumberland, Archaeologia Aeliana, 3, XII, 186-189 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Newburn and Newburn Hall Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 136-139 Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, R. Lewis, 1966, Newburn Hall... T. Faulkner & P. Lowery 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 55