Tyne and Wear HER(12914): Rowlands Gill, West Thornley Farm - Details
Rowlands Gill, West Thornley Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
West Thornley Farm is shown on Ordnance Survey first edition of 1858. The farmhouse and stable block are still extant. The farmhouse is sandstone, probably two houses orgininally, each with a central front door (there is a timber porch with slate roof and stone ridge tiles over the southern one) and four sash windows. The southern part of the house is built of ashlar blocks, the northern half, which is taller, of random rubble. The roofs are slate and there are three brick chimney stacks. To the rear of the house is a random rubble stable or barn with a red painted door with stone lintel and small six-pane window. Upper windows have been blocked up. The roof is slate. There is a further stone rubble farm building with a central door and two windows either side of the door. The roof is corrugated metal. At one end is a brick extension with a chimney. The last farm building is also stone rubble but has been painted white. One end of the building has two green-painted timber doors, a sash window and a new slate roof. The other end is opened fronted on one side, the tile roof supported on a stone column. There is also a tiny brick structure with a metal and concrete roof which looks like an air raid shelter.
Julie Parker, Tyne and Wear Museums, August 2008, West Thornley Farm, Rowlands Gill, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Buildings Recording