Tyne and Wear HER(1293): Chapel House, Knop Law, earthwork (Castle Steeds) - Details
Chapel House, Knop Law, earthwork (Castle Steeds)
In 1732 Horsley noted the existence "near the Chapel houses about a furlong south from Severus's wall, and less from Hadrian's,...the ruins of a rampart. It is usually called the Castle-steeds...it is about four chains long, with an interval in the middle, that looks like a gate...like the south rampart of a small fort". He saw no traces of ramparts on the other sides. MacLauchlan in the mid-19th century declared they were quite destroyed and their outline scarcely visible.
<< HER 1293 >> J. Horsley, 1732, Britannia Romana, 138, plan 3 J. Hodgson, 1840, History of Northumberland, Part 2, Vol. III, 281 H. MacLauchlan, 1858, Memoir written during a Survey of the Roman Wall, p. 14 note 2 G.R.B. Spain, 1930, Outlying Works North and South of the Wall, Northumberland County History, XIII, 540