Tyne and Wear HER(1299): Denton chapel - Details
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
A chapel existed at Denton before c. 1194 when the land belonging to it was annexed to the vicarage of Newburn. Roger de Widdrington, before 1334/5, gave property to Newburn church to find a chaplain to celebrate in Denton chapel. A "Free Chappell" in the parish of Newburn is mentioned in 1548, but thereafter there is no further documentation. The chapel is supposed to have stood in the garden south-west of Denton Hall. This is based on the discovery some time before 1887 of a font, some sculptured stones, two incised grave-covers and some large stone coffins. The location of these objects is unknown and the Western Bypass has reduced the size of the garden.
<< HER 1299 >> M. Hoyle, 1887, Denton Hall,Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, II (for 1885-86), 42 W.W. Tomlinson, 1894, Denton Hall and its associations, 116-117 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Parish of Newburn: Chapels, Northumberland County History, XIII, 132-3