Tyne and Wear HER(1301): Butterlaw village - Details
The earliest reference is from 1242, and in 1296 there were 6 taxpayers. Robert fitzRoger 1309 died seised of 12 bondage holdings, each containing one messuage, 16 acres of arable and a cottage. The village was certainly shrinking while held by the Percy family, and by 1620 there was only`one farm at Butterlaw, one each at East and West Whorlton. Today at Butterlaw there is just one farm, and much of the surrounding land has been opencasted.
<< HER 1301 >> Aerial Photograph, Wellbar House, RAF - Box 8 0420, F21 58.RAF.2657 Aerial Photograph, RAF - CPE.UK.2352 3131-2 4 10 47 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Walbottle Butterley and Whorlton Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 154-158 Alnwick Castle, Duke of Northumberland's MSS, 1620, Plan of Walbottle and Butterlaw, O XVII nos. 1 and 5 Alnwick Castle, Duke of Northumberland's MSS, 1710, Plan of Dewley Butterley and Whorleton Moor, O XVII 2 1767, Plan of the Lordship of Newburn -Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell 45.2 (date unknown), with field names -Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell 18.1-5 Tithe Awards, 1847, Butterley -Northumberland Records Office, DT 80 M Tithe Awards, Butterlaw (Whorlton) -Northumberland Records Office, DT 509 M S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, Vol. II, 326-7 -Northumberland Records Office