Tyne and Wear HER(1305): West Denton village - Details
West Denton village
Denton was listed as a member of the barony of Whalton in 1166, when it consisted of 9 bondage holdings, 2 freeholdings and 3 cottages: there were 3 taxpayers in 1296, 6 in 1312. There is a documentary reference from 1327 to the vills of Denton and Redewood (Redewood perhaps being equated with East Denton). In 1381 the manors of Denton and Redewood were granted to Tynemouth Priory, which held them until the Dissolution. The status of both Dentons is obscure, and when they were split into East and West is unknown. Both, however, were distinct townships in the 19th century.
<< HER 1305 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, East and West Denton and Sugley Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 183-200 S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, Vol. II, 357-8 -Northumberland Records Office Tithe Awards, 1845, East Denton, DT 488 M -Northumberland Records Office Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2003, St Vincent's, West Denton, Newcastle, Archaeological Desk-top Assessment