Tyne and Wear HER(1314): Dewley village - Details
The first reference is in the Lay Subsidy Roll of 1296 when Dewley had 4 tax- payers. There were 4 again in 1312. Described as a waste place, worth 13s 4d, in 1367, in 1499/1500 it was listed as a hamlet, though in decay. In 1622 Cuthbert Heron held "a house and a close called Dewly." Fairly certainly a shrunk or deserted settlement, perhaps due to its failure to recover from Scottish devastations. The site is unknown, but may be the present Dewley Farm, or the former East Dewley, which apparently accords with the house shown on a map of 1620.
<< HER 1314 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Newburn and Newburn Hall Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 143-149, 156 Alnwick Castle, Duke of Northumberland's MSS, 1620,of Manor of Newburn... MR 0.XVII.1 Alnwick Castle, Duke of Northumberland's MSS, 1710,of Dewley, Butterley and Whorleton Moor... 0.XVII.2 S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 358-9 -Northumberland Records Office (date unknown), - 44.11G Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell 1767, Lordship of Newburn -Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell 45.2 Northumberland Records Office, 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1:2,500 scale, Durham 87.16