Tyne and Wear HER(1315): Throckley Fell, common land - Details
Throckley Fell, common land
Agriculture and Subsistence
Land Use Site
At the beginning of the 15th century Throckley passed by marriage to the Radcliffes of Dilston and Derwentwater, who therefore became lords of the manor, and from them it went to Greenwich Hospital. There survives a record of late 18th century/early 19th century trespasses and encroachments on the Fell - the running of cattle, sheep and horses without entitlement, and the taking of turf and stones. The act for the enclosure of the Fell was passed in 1816, and the award made in 1830. Some of the Fell has been opencasted. The site of Throckley Fell was mostly north of the Throckley bypass (A 69), and slightly more than half was within the modern boundary of Northumberland.
<< HER 1315 >> C188, Receivers Books, 404 (Bell) 214 M14 -Northumberland Records Office; 1805, Plan of Throckley Manor, 691.1.19 -Northumberland Records Office; 1816, Enclosure Act for Parish of Newburn, (40) NRO ZRI 25/29, NRO 2049/14 and NRO QD 8 and 9, Northumberland Records Office; 1830, Throckley Fell Allotments, XXXV.3, 4 -Northumberland Records Office, ZGI; 1845, Rent charges at Throckley Fell, 69.1 -Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell; M.H. Dodds, 1930, Throckley Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, p 163; Enclosure Awards, 1830, Throckley Fell - Northumberland Records Office; S Wrathmell, 1975, Deserted and shrunken medieval villages in southern Northumberland from the twelfth to the twentieth centuries, unpublished PhD thesis, University College, Cardiff, pp 200-202 and 208; House of Lords HL/PO/PB/1/1816/56G3n50; Public Records Office MP1/237 and MAF 11/20