Tyne and Wear HER(13178): Millfield, Simpson Street, schools - Details
Millfield, Simpson Street, schools
The school building was part of Simpson Street School which also included a Grade II listed Boy’s school on Wellington Lane. The school is first shown on the 1895 Ordnance Survey, but it opened in 1867 as Deptford Yard Church of England School (HER 7232). The Girl’s and Infant’s school is a single storey structure constructed out of English garden wall brick work with four-pane sash windows and welsh slate roof. A metal finial on top of a bell-cote is located in the central section of the structure. The original timber floors were replaced in the 20th century with a concrete surface in three rooms. In the 20th century the building was extended, and the structure was converted into workshops for Sunderland Coachworks.
Ordnance Survey second edition 1897 and third edition 1919; Pre-Construct Archaeology, 2019, Former Simpson Street School, Historic Building Record Report