Tyne and Wear HER(1320): Throckley, Dewley Mill - Details
Throckley, Dewley Mill
Water Power Production Site
Cartington's rental of Newburn manor in 1499/1500 records that Alianora Lady Ogle held not only the hamlet of Dewlawe, but also "The West Milne", rent 462 8d, repairs allowed to her 6s 8d. Another corn mill was held by Christopher Errington. It is unclear whether either mill can be equated with the 19th century Throckley Mill (corn) shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey plan , named Dewley Mill on later maps. A dam and mill race once existed to the west, but have been destroyed by opencasting. Foundations of the 19th century mill remain.
<< HER 1320 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Newburn and Newburn Hall Townships, Northumberland County History, XIII, 146-7 Ordnance Survey maps, 1860, 1st ed. 6, LXXXVII Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, Newburn Plan Area