Tyne and Wear HER(13217): Jesmond, St. Andrew's Cemetery, grave of Drs GH and WE Hume - Details
Jesmond, St. Andrew's Cemetery, grave of Drs GH and WE Hume
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Dr George Haliburton Hume (1846-1923) was a surgeon and Dr William Errington Hume (1879-1960) was a physician. The Hume family came from Kelso in the Scottish borders. William Hume married Elizabeth Haliburton. He studied medicine at Edinburgh University and qualified as a surgeon aged 20. He worked at Newcastle Infirmary and lived on Westgate Road. In 1881 he moved to No. 4 Ellison Place. His son William Errington Hume was one of five children. He studied medicine at Cambridge then went on on to specialise in cardiology at the RVI. During the First World War he volunteered to serve in France so he could study the effects of poison gas and wet trench disease. He was awarded the CMG (Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George). He met his future wife Marie in France. After the war they returned to Newcastle and he practised in Ellison Place. He introduced the electrocardiograph to Newcastle and received a knighthood in 1952 for services to medicine. William and Marie had five children, including George (Cardinal Basil Hume) who became head of the Roman Catholic Church in Britain. The Hume monument is a plain cross on three steps.
Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, page 94