Tyne and Wear HER(13237): Denton Burn, West Road, cemetery and crematorium - Details
Title of image: Crematorium, West Road Denton
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Crematorium Collection
Accession number: NCL 048406
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Denton Burn, West Road, cemetery and crematorium
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Opened in October 1934 at a cost of nearly £54,000. The architect was J.J. Hill. It was supposedly the only crematorium between Edinburgh and Darlington and was meant to solve Newcastle's burial problems. The cemetery includes the 1939-45 war memorial (HER 10961 and 11930) with around 40 headstones. There is an area for Muslim burials in the south-west part of the cemetery. The crematorium includes the loggia with memorial tablets fixed to the walls, a Garden of Remembrance for scattered ashes and a room with a Book of Remembrance. The first official cremation took place at Woking Crematorium in 1885. Until 1932 less than 1% of deaths were followed by cremation. In 1991 the figure was 71%.
Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 120-121; Hilary J Grainger, 2005, Death Redesigned, pp 459-60; National Monuments Record Monument No. 1528449