Tyne and Wear HER(1324): Prestwick Carr, Roman bronze vessels - Details
Prestwick Carr, Roman bronze vessels
In 1890 13 bronze vessels and a possible handle were ploughed up on Prestwick Carr 350 yards north of Prestwick Whins Farm. This camp kitchen set contained a cauldron, 4 bowls, one basin and 7 saucepans. Though battered and patched, the names of two makers and three owners survived on 4 of the vessels. Of the 13, 7 were donated to the Society of Antiquaries by the landowner, Charles Loraine Bell of Woolsington. The cauldron disappeared before the publication of the group in volume XIII of the Northumberland County History (1926) and the other 5 pieces subsequently also vanished.
<< HER 1324 >> T. Hodgkin, 1892, Discovery of Roman Bronze vessels at Prestwick Carr, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, XV, 159-161 R.C. Hedley, 1923, Notes on Prestwick Carr, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 3, X, 186-187 M.H. Dodds, 1926, Prestwick Carr hoard, Northumberland County History, XII, 41-50