Tyne and Wear HER(13240): Newcastle, RC Cathedral of St. Mary, crypt - Details
Newcastle, RC Cathedral of St. Mary, crypt
Religious Ritual and Funerary
A large vaulted chamber in the cathedral courtyard. The chamber contains the coffins of William Riddell, Roman Catholic Bishop (1807-1847) and Rev. William Fletcher (died 1848). Both men died of typhoid. The crypt was never opened again. In December 2001, the crypt was rediscovered by Ground Penetrating Radar. The chamber measured 5m x 3m and has an arched roof. The height of the chamber is approx 1.7m. The top of the roof is 1.2m below present ground level. There may be a side chamber to the east which is 3m x 2m in plan. An anomaly to the west is likely to be the main entrance. There is possibly another entrance to the east (like Rippon Cathedral and Hexham Abbey). In 2003, during the construction of a new cloister and courtyard the crypt was opened. It contains shelves for 20 coffins but 18 are unoccupied.
Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, page 124; Northumbrian Surveys, December 2001, Report on Ground Penetrating Radar Survey at Cathedral Church of St. Mary, Clayton Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne