Tyne and Wear HER(13242): Walker, Christ Church, churchyard (Walker Cemetery) - Details
Walker, Christ Church, churchyard (Walker Cemetery)
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Before 1848 St. Bartholomew's Church at Longbenton was the parish church for Walker. Walker was expanded due to the ten coal mines in the area. The New Connection Methodists set up in Walker in 1838, Weslesyan Methodists in 1840, Presbyterians in 1846 and Welsh Independents in 1846 (Welsh iron workers from Port Talbot moved to Walker). The Church of England set up a congregation in the schoolroom of Walker Iron and Alkali Works in 1846. The foundation for the new Christ Church was laid in 1847. The architect was A.B. Higham (also designed Christ Church in Shieldfield) and the builder was Richard Cail. The church cost £1250. The churchyard was originally 6,806 square yards but in 1864 3 acres were added and in 1899 a further 7 acres. The 1899 enlargement was paid for by John Wigham Richardson, shipbuilder and others. In his will Richardson left money for maintaining the churchyard 'in beauty and order'. Christ Church had the largest parish churchyard in Britain in the 1970s and it featured in the Guiness Book of Records. Burials are now only allowed where space is available in existing graves.
Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 137-141