Tyne and Wear HER(13265): Bewicke Main, Primitive Methodist Chapel - Details
Bewicke Main, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Rectangular corrugated iron Primitive Methodist chapel with a small gabled porch. The long walls had four pointed arched windows, with a fifth in the brick gable end section. Similar windows were located on either side of the porch, and one above it. The roof was also of corrugated iron, extending over the brick end. At the gable there was a bargeboard with scalloped edge and fretted features. At the gable there was a steeple and a chimney. The chapel was at the bottom end of High Row and opened in 1901. The land had been bought from the coal company for 1/-. The last service was in 1938.
Norman Emery, 1990, Corrugated Iron Public Buildings in County Durham, Durham Archaeological Journal, Vol 6, 1990, page 67; Dixon R, McMillan E, Turnbull L, no date, Changing Kibblesworth, Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council Department of Education Local Studies, series 4