Tyne and Wear HER(13266): Bewicke Main, institute - Details
Bewicke Main, institute
T-shaped institute with a side porch, near the Primitive Methodist chapel (HER 13265). The structure was built on a brick footing. It was lit by tall rectangular windows with hood mouldings. The gables had plain barge boards, with a collar and king post timbering extending above the ridge as a turned point. The roof ridge was lined with crockets. The institute opened in 1901. The colliery closed in 1932, and the village was demolished.
Norman Emery, 1990, Corrugated Iron Public Buildings in County Durham, Durham Archaeological Journal, Vol 6, 1990, page 67; Durham Record Office (B12) B/BEW/GOO Goodley, H, Bewicke Main: The Colliery Village which Disappeared