Tyne and Wear HER(13271): Greenside, church hall - Details
Greenside, church hall
Church hall, built in 1906 for £1000. Shown on an old postcard as a long, broad building with a chimney at one end and two projecting sections at the other, giving it a T-plan. The narrow projecting sections were gabled, but their ridge level was lower than that of the main part of the building. The long walls had tall 6-pane windows, the upper fanlights opening inwards. The gable was divided up by external timbers, the broad end having two doors, flanked by paired windows, each of two lights. In the upper level there was a broad curved-headed window divided by three mullions. There was an upper window in the projecting sections.
Norman Emery, 1990, Corrugated Iron Public Buildings in County Durham, Durham Archaeological Journal, Vol 6, 1990, page 69; Rippeth, W.G., 1988, Ryton in Old Picture Postcards, p 57