Tyne and Wear HER(13279): Horton Grange, turbary - Details
Horton Grange, turbary
In the middle of the 12th century, Roger Bertram, Baron of Mitford, granted the township of Horton Grange with a turbary (right of digging peat) to the monks of Newminster. To support the turbary, right of access was granted across Roger Bertram's land, and a cart track was created to allow the peat to be taken from the turbary. This was one of the earliest grants to the monks of Newminster. The price of the grant was 140 marks, a hunting horse or hound to the value of 20 shillings and an annual rent of £10, payable at Pentecost. A field known as Gresside, which was possibly located on the boundary of Horton Grange and Prestwick Carr, was granted to the monks of Newminster by William de St. Peter. There is no documentary evidence for the use of the turbary after the Barony of Mitford was broken up after 1262.
Gary Brogan and Steve Speak, 2006, Fox Covert, Archaeology in Northumberland, Northumberland County Council/Northumberland National Park, Vol. 16, page 12; Warren Muncaster, Tyne and Wear Museums, September 2007, Archive Report, Fox Covert OCCS, Dinnington, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Excavation