Tyne and Wear HER(13280): Mason, turbary - Details
A turbary (right of digging peat) at Merdesfen is referred to as land retained when grants were made to the monks of Newminster, Tynemouth Priory and the Nunnery of St. Bartholomew. The turbary was described in 1325 as having its annual value reduced from 10s to 6d. A will of 1327 states that the whole township, along with the turbary had been wasted by the Scots.
Gary Brogan and Steve Speak, 2006, Fox Covert, Archaeology in Northumberland, Northumberland County Council/Northumberland National Park, Vol. 16, page 12; Warren Muncaster, Tyne and Wear Museums, September 2007, Archive Report, Fox Covert OCCS, Dinnington, Tyne and Wear - Archaeological Excavation