Tyne and Wear HER(1329): Brenkley village - Details
The earliest reference to Brenkley is 1242, when it was listed as a member of the barony of Mitford. In the Lay Subsidy Rolls of 1296, 1312 and 1336 there were 6 - 7 taxpayers. By the time of the 1661-5 Hearth Tax returns there were 2 householders who owed the tax, 4 who did not. The 3 farms on the first edition Ordnance Survey plan exist today, at least as buildings. It appears to have been a very small 2-row village. Some earth-works exist between the buildings on the south side, and there is ridge and furrow behind the north row.
<< HER 1329 >> 19th century, Brenkley, Northumberland Records Office- 309.M17 M.H. Dodds, 1926, Brenkley Township, Northumberland County History, XII, 521-8 Northumberland Records Office Tithe Awards - 1841, Brenkley DT 67M Northumberland Records Office Unpublished PhD thesis S. Wrathmell - - II, 319 Brenkley, 1769, Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll,20.12 and 13 D. Maddison 1830, A Historical and Descriptive Account of Prestwick Carr and its Environ, p 47-54