Tyne and Wear HER(133): Tynemouth Castle - Details
Title of image: Tynemouth Castle and Gate, Northumberland
Date: Published 1785
Description: Tynemouth Castle and gate.
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Castles Collection
Accession number: NCL a128
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
The medieval castle was of two phases: first, as a result of the 1296 licence to crenellate, the priory built an enclosing curtain and tower, fragments of which survive on the north side, and a 30 yard piece to full height to the south-west. Second, in the late 14th century (c.1390) Prior John Whethamstede built the gatehouse, presumably as a replacement. It consists of an oblong tower of three storeys (passage and guardrooms, great hall and great chamber), with a three storey block, including a kitchen, attached to its south-east corner, and a barbican in front. It has been assumed that there was once a ditch in front of the gatehouse beneath the barbican. SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT
<< HER 133 >> R. Waters & J. Fittler in J. Brand, 1789, Newcastle upon Tyne II, opp. p. 65 E. Mackenzie, 1825, Northumberland, II, opp. p. 43 H.H.E. Craster, 1907, Tynemouth Castle, Northumberland County History, VIII, pp. 150-157 W.H. Knowles, 1910, The Priory Church of St. Mary and St. Oswin, Tynemouth, Northumberland, Archaeological Journal, LXVII, pp. 32-50 R.N. Hadcock, 1986, Tynemouth Priory and Castle