Tyne and Wear HER(13341): Ryhope, railway footbridge - Details
Ryhope, railway footbridge
The metal footbridge is the last surviving remnant of Ryhope West Station. Ryhope East Station was 20m to the east. The two stations were run by rival railway companies. The West Station was on the North Eastern Railway; the East Station was on the Londonderry Seaham and Sunderland Railway. In 1900 the stations were amalgamated.
Sunderland City Council, 2010, Ryhope Village Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy (Consultation Draft), page 29