Tyne and Wear HER(1335): Dinnington, supposed chapel - Details
Dinnington, supposed chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
In 1820 part of the field called the Back Yards on the NW edge of Dinnington was dug up. In addition to human bones, "The foundation of a building was also discovered. The stones were a yard in length, and otherwise proportionately large. Numerous other stones and firebricks were also found, and a regular pavement of whin stones to some extent. Two stones, which had been dressed, when joined together formed the figure of an octagon, and were evidently the remains of a gothic pillar. A stone was also found, in the shape of a ball, with a perforation in the centre, similar to such as were anciently used on the tops of pillars at the entrance gate of mansion houses, or other buildings". Locally it was generally believed that a church or chapel had formerly stood in the Back Yards, although there is no medieval documentary evidence to support this other than a reference to a "toft next the graveyard wall" in 1304.
<< HER 1335 >> D. Maddison, 1830, Prestwick Carr, pp. 33-34 M.H. Dodds, 1926, Parish of Ponteland: Chapels and Chantries, Northumberland County History, XII, 436-38 Proceedings of the S. Holmes, 1889, Disused graveyards in Northumberland, Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 2, III (for 1887-1888), p. 201; Wardell Armstrong, 2015, Land north of Front Street, Dinnington - Archaeological Assessment