Tyne and Wear HER(13353): North Shields, Borough Road, New Cut - Details
North Shields, Borough Road, New Cut
Road Transport Site
Borough Road did not exist until 1839. When the Newcastle and North Shields Railway (HER 1186) opened that year there was no obvious link to the ferry terminal. So the 'New Cut' was excavated through the Ropery Banks and a ticket office was built at the bottom. A timber bridge (HER 12099) was built over the Cut to restore a right of way across the bank top.
North Tyneside Council and Nexus, North Shields Heritage Trail, board 3 'A nest of vice'