Tyne and Wear HER(13355): North Shields, Union Quay, Peggy's Hole - Details
North Shields, Union Quay, Peggy's Hole
Peggy's Hole is named after a naval ship 'The Peggy' which was moored near the entrance of 'the Gut' where the fishing boats landed their catch. During the French Wars at the end of the 18th century, North and South Shields were victims of Press Gang raids. In 1796, 250 mechanics and seamen from North Shields were pressed into service in a single raid. The town was cordoned off by troops. Many Tyneside sailors were pressed into service in the Battle of Trafalgar.
North Tyneside Council and Nexus, North Shields Heritage Trail, board 7 'Peggy's Hole'