Tyne and Wear HER(13364): North Shields, Howard Street - Details
North Shields, Howard Street
Road Transport Site
Howard Street and Northumberland Square (HER 11363) were the flagship developments of North Shields 'new town' They were laid out in Georgian tradition, and pre-date Newcastle's Grainger Town by a quarter of a century. John Dobson designed many of the buildings. Notable buildings - the Tynemouth Literary and Philosophical Society's Library 1807 (HER 9833), the Mechanics Institute & Free Library 1857-58), the Town Hall, Savings Bank, Museum and Police Station of 1844, (HER 7287 and 4584) now the site of Saville Exchange), Methodist Chapel 1856 (HER 7286), non-conformist Scotch Church 1811 (HER 4570, now Salvation Army Citadel), Baptist Church 1846 (HER 4578) and St. Columba's Presbyterian Church 1856 (HER 7299). Howard Street is named after the Howard family from Carlisle who owned the land in the 18th century.
North Tyneside Council and Nexus, North Shields Heritage Trail, board 14 'Georgian Town'