Tyne and Wear HER(1337): Dinnington village - Details
A member of the barony of Mitford, in 1242 it was held with Brenkley by the heirs of Henry de Ferlington. There were 6 taxpayers in 1296, 10 in 1312. A rental of 1303 showed that 11 men each held a house with curtilage and 1.5 acres arable and there were 2 other tenants. In the mid 15th century the manor was sold to the Heselrigg family, and remained with them until sold to Matthew Bell in 1763. In the 18th century Dinnington consisted of 2 rows, set far apart, on either side of a green, with the east end of the green largely closed off and partly covered by a block of buildings.
<< HER 1337 >> M.H. Dodds, 1926, Dinnington Township, Northumberland County History, XII, 475-9; 1730, Dinnington, Woodhorn, Watson Collection, 20.3; Tithe Awards,1841,Dinnington, Woodhorn DT 134 M; Enclosure Awards,1860, Prestwick Carr: Dinnington, Woodhorn QRA 42.1-5; D. Maddison, 1830, A Historical and Descriptive Account of Prestwick Carr and its Environ, p 29-37; Tyne and Wear Museums, 1997, Autotune, Dinnington, Archaeological Desk Based Assessment; J Pugh, Tyne and Wear Musuems, 2012, North Hill, Dinnington, Archaeological Desk Based Assessment; M. Watson, 1996, Dinnington: An Ordinary Village; Plan of township of Dinnington, c 1820, Woodhorn NRO 00309/M/40; Plan of Dinnington Estate, c 1780, Woodhorn SANT/BEQ/9/1/1/46; Tyne and Wear Musuems, 2012, North Hill, Dinnington, Tyne and Wear - archaeological evaluation