Tyne and Wear HER(13391): Gosforth, Church of St. Nicholas, grave of C.J. Brandling - Details
Gosforth, Church of St. Nicholas, grave of C.J. Brandling
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Charles John Brandling (1769-1826) MP, land owner and coal magnate. The monument is a stone vault, each corner marked by a pillar. The surrounding railings were removed during World War Two. Seven other family members were also buried here between 1826 and 1853. The Brandlings were merchant adventurers who came into prominence from the 1500s as sheriffs, mayors or MPs. The family owned several Tyneside collieries, including Jesmond and Gosforth. In 1760 Charles Brandling (father of Charles John) moved from Felling Hall to Gosforth. James Paine designed his new house, Gosforth House. Charles John, his brother Robert William and his brother-in-law Matthew Bell contributed to the rebuilding of the church in 1799. Brandling Charles John inherited the estate in 1802. In 1826 his brother Rev. Ralph Henry Brandling inherited a disintegrating estate. By 1852 the family was bankrupt. Ralph Henry moved abroad. The rest of the family moved to Somerset. The house was sold in 1880 with over 2000 acres of land. In 1882 Gosforth Racecourse was built in the grounds.
Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 151-153; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, p 111