Tyne and Wear HER(1340): West Brunton village - Details
West Brunton village
West Brunton was a member of the barony of Styford or Bolbec, and had 8 taxpayers in 1296. It had all come into the hands of the Heselrigg family by the 17th century and remained with them until sold in 1768, after which it ended up with the Bells (1825). The township bordered Woolsington, Newbiggin, Kenton, Fawdon, East Brunton and Dinnington. The location of the village, however, is uncertain, but perhaps was at Brunton Bridge Farm.
<< HER 1340 >> Plan 1730, West Brunton, Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll,20.2 1768, Estates of Sir Arthur Hesilrige, Northumberland Records Office, 602.25.4 Seymour Bell, 1796, Brunton, Newcastle Library Local Studies, 3.6 Tithe Awards, 1840, West Brunton, Northumberland Records Office, DT 486 S CLAs, 1920, Particulars of sale: Woolsington Estates, Northumberland Records Office, 99.1 M.H. Dodds, 1930, West Brunton Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 370-373 S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 323