Tyne and Wear HER(13422): Jesmond, West Jesmond Station - Details
Jesmond, West Jesmond Station
Railway Transport Site
Opened on 1 December 1900. It was built by the Forsyth brothers. The new station on the line from Newcastle to the coast, included waiting rooms on both sides of the track each with a 'patent fireplace'. The gentleman's first class room was described as a 'snug little apartment with table and hair covered seated chairs and an oil cloth on the floor'. The ladies' first class room was similar and had lavatories alongside. There were general waiting rooms for both men and ladies, 'lined out with glazed bricks and has seats running right round'. There were separate rooms for staff and a 'cosy little dwelling' outside the station for the station master and his family. Alongside the track were sidings for coal and goods and a weigh house. Now a metro station.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 48-49