Tyne and Wear HER(13423): Jesmond, Tankerville Terrace, West Jesmond School - Details
Jesmond, Tankerville Terrace, West Jesmond School
A temporary tin school opened in 1901 to cater for 300 infants while permanent school buildings were built on the 2 acre site. The infants school proper opened in 1902. In 1905 the junior and senior schools opened, accomodating 1,100 children. The architect was Charles S. Errington of Newcastle. Following the original construction there was one phase of enlargement during the 1940s and early 1950s. During this period onsite kitchen facilities and indoor toilets were constructed. The school was demolished in 2008 and replaced by a new one. The buildings were recorded by PCA prior to demolition.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 40; Pre-construct Archaeology, 2007, West Jesmond Primary School, Tankerville Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne, Historic Buildings Recording; 40; Pre-construct Archaeology, 2009, West Jesmond Primary School, Tankerville Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Watching Brief