Tyne and Wear HER(13427): Jesmond, Matthew Bank Farm - Details
Jesmond, Matthew Bank Farm
Agriculture and Subsistence
This was the last surviving farm in Jesmond. It was replaced by semi-detached houses (Sturdee Gardens) around 1932. Three acres of land along the south bank of the Crag Hall Burn is named 'Matthew's Bank' on early 19th century maps. Thomas Atkinson of Crag Hall owned the land. The road Matthew Bank was originally called Crag Hall Lane. It was improved around 1828 by reducing the gradient.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 53