Tyne and Wear HER(13429): Jesmond, Jesmond Towers, North Lodge - Details
Jesmond, Jesmond Towers, North Lodge
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
Built by Charles Mitchell in the 1870s to serve as a tradesmen's entrance to Jesmond Towers. An attractive building on Jesmond Dene Road. In the 1970s the gateway was blocked with a wall to prevent access to LA Sagesse School. Between this lodge and the top of Matthew Bank is an inscribed stone low down on the roadside wall marked 'WS 1820'. Recorded 2013 by Archaeological Services Durham University. This is a larger and more substantial house than the West Lodge. There are three high ceilinged main rooms, each with a fireplace. The interior was not photographed due to the house being inhabited.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 57; Cyril Winskell and AJT Environmental Consultants, 2010, Conservation Plan for Jesmond Towers Estate, p 65; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2014, La Sagesse, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, Buildings Recording