Tyne and Wear HER(13433): Jesmond, Osborne Road, Jesmond Lawn Tennis Club - Details
Jesmond, Osborne Road, Jesmond Lawn Tennis Club
The Lawn Tennis Club was founded in 1883 at Fern Avenue. It is the oldest club in Newcastle and amongst the oldest in the world. Its logo is a fern leaf. In 1890 the club moved to this site on Osborne Road. They had five grass courts and a pavilion. There were 102 members. Annual subscription was £1 10s for men and one guinea for ladies. The land was rented from Mr Burdon-Sanderson for £30 a year. The land was bought outright in 1920. In 1973 two of the courts were changed to red shale. Several years later the courts nearest to Osborne Road were sold for The Lawns residential development. The club's name and foundation date are inscribed on an arch over the iron gate on Osborne Road. At present there are three 'all weather' courts and a pavilion on site. In 1902 one of the club's members, Muriel Evelyn Robb, won the ladies' singles title at Wimbledon. She had already won previous mixed doubles and doubles. She died in 1906 aged 28 and is buried in Jesmond Old Cemetery.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 74