Tyne and Wear HER(1344): Newbiggin village - Details
There are references in 1228-29 to a law suit concerning Newbiggin, and it appears in the Lay Subsidy Roll with 8 tax-payers as "Neubyging' Faudon". A member of the barony of Whalton at the beginning, it was in the ownership of the Greystoke family, later the Dacres and Howards, between the 15th century-17th century, and the Bells of Woolsington from before 1826 to 1922. A map of 1789 shows 2 farms, High Newbiggin at the west end of the complex, and Low Newbiggin, in the Green, and with a pond, at the east end. This is a possible site of the village.
<< HER 1344 >> W.H. Thompson, 1921, Northumberland Pleas, 1198-1272, Newcastle Record Series, II, nos. 299-301, 312-15, 318, 326 (date unknown), Contents of Newbiggen Estate, Northumberland Records Office, ZAN Bell, 13.1 1789, Map, Newbiggin Estate, Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll, 23A.12 Tithe Awards, 1843, Newbiggin, Northumberland Records Office, DT 338 S CLAs, 1920, Conditions of Sale, Woolsington Estate, Northumberland Records Office, 99.1 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Newbiggin-on-the-Moor Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 201-203 S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 453-Northumberland Records Office