Tyne and Wear HER(13440): Jesmond, Osborne Road (west side) - Details
Jesmond, Osborne Road (west side)
The terrace of houses between Holly Avenue West and Lily Avenue were completed around 1882. Residents tended to be local businessmen and professional people. After World War II they were divied up into flats and apartments. The exception is the corner property on Holly Avenue West. This house was the home of an engineer, but later it became a doctor's surgery and is Holly Medical Group today. On its gable end is a decorated slab with the rod of Asclepius (Greek God of Medicine) entwined by a serpent. This is the international symbol of medicine and the emblem of the NHS.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 95