Tyne and Wear HER(13443): Jesmond, Osborne Road, Nos. 64-68, St. Margaret's Hotel - Details
Jesmond, Osborne Road, Nos. 64-68, St. Margaret's Hotel
A row of private houses on the east side of Osborne Road between Queen's Road and Grosvenor Road. St. Margaret's Boarding House opened around 1912 in three houses at the Queen's Road end of the terrace. An advertisement dated 1929 describes its pleasant situation in a fashionable suburb, with 'every home comfort, dining rooms with separate tables, billiard room etc'. It later became St. Margaret's Temperence Hotel, then St. Margaret's Private Hotel. In the 1960s it was the Avon Hotel. The four adjacent houses became 'The Methodist International House'. Today the two hotels are one large hotel. The gothic attic dormer windows have been replaced by one modern continuous attic window. Most doors have been replaced by windows. The chimneys have been removed. Most of the other private houses south of Grosvenor Road are also hotels.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 98