Tyne and Wear HER(13444): Jesmond, Cavendish Place - Details
Jesmond, Cavendish Place
Completed around 1901 'to meet the requirements of the families of respectable workmen and members of the lower middle class'. All the houses had 'the latest conveniences, overshot roofs and superior bay window masonry'. Each house contained 6, 7 or 9 rooms. In the front rooms there were carved oak mantelpieces. The street is named after William Cavendish (1592-1676), first Duke of Newcastle. He was a Royalist general in the English Civil War. He was born in Yorkshire but his mother, Catherine Ogle, was from Northumberland. She inherited vast estates including a third of Jesmond.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 99