Tyne and Wear HER(13445): Jesmond, Fern Avenue, Co-operative Hall - Details
Jesmond, Fern Avenue, Co-operative Hall
Opened in 1898. A substantial brick building with a grocery shop on the ground floor with a hall for social events above. There is an inscribed stone lintel above the entrance. For a while the United Methodist Free Church held their services here until their church on St. George's Terrace was opened in 1901. In 1914 the co-op was occupied by part of West Jesmond School, which had been taken over by the army. Since 1923 a Masonic Lodge has met on the upper floor. This site was the home of the Avenues Lawn Tennis Club for seven years before the co-op was built.
Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, pages 108-9