Tyne and Wear HER(1345): Kenton village - Details
Title of image: Kenton Bar, Kenton
Description: An undated view of Kenton Bar, Kenton. The photograph is looking south down Ponteland Road near the junction with Kenton Lane. Kenton Lane is in the foreground to the right. Kenton Post Office is on the right-hand side of the road with other buildings beyond. There are also buildings on the left-hand side of the road. A horse-drawn cart piled with hay is travelling along the road.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Description and Views Collection
Accession number: NCL 058129
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
First reference is from the 12th century, when William of Newham (living in 1166) and Ralph his brother gave Kenton to William's daughter. A member of the barony of Whalton, it had 6 taxpayers in 1296. The original shape of this hamlet is uncertain, but it was perhaps T-shaped, with an east-west two-row layout at right-angles to another running south to the Town Moor, the first possibly with a green. By the mid 19th century it was extremely straggly, perhaps having been stretched out by the addition of post-medieval miners' dwellings.
<< HER 1345 >> W.H. Thompson, 1921, Northumberland Pleas, 1198-1272, Newcastle Record Series, II, no. 469 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Kenton Township, Northumberland County History, XIII , 355-66 The College, Shafto Papers, 18th century, Nos. 151, 257 -Durham University Special Collections 5 Tithe Awards, 1841, Kenton, Northumberland Records Office, DT 273 M R. Welford, (date unknown), History of the Parish of Gosforth, 77-90 Seymour Bell, 19th century, Kenton - Newcastle Library Local Studies.