Tyne and Wear HER(1351): Fenham, coal mines - Details
Fenham, coal mines
Coal Mining Site
In 1185 Fenham was given to the Knights Templars. Between their suppression in 1307, and the vesting of their property in the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in 1313, the crown disposed of much of the confiscated property, and the corporation of Newcastle apparently obtained a lease of the coal mines in Fenham. In 1404 the corporation had a lease of these mines from the Knights Hospitallers.
<< HER 1351 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Fenham Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 291-2