Tyne and Wear HER(1352): Fawdon village - Details
A member of the barony of Whalton, first mentioned by name in 1242. It had four taxpayers in 1312. Before 1346 Fawdon was acquired by William of Heselrig, and it remained in that family until 1763, being bought by Matthew Bell of Woolsington in 1768. Maps of 1730 and the early 19th century show an irregular cluster of buildings around the bend in Fawdon lane. They probably formed just two steadings, one on each side of the road. These, plus Fawdon House, made up the village in the mid 19th century.
<< HER 1352 >> W.H. Thompson, 1921, Northumberland Pleas, 1198-1272, Newcastle Record Series, II, no. 469 M.H. Dodds, 1930, Fawdon Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 367-8 1730, Fawdon, Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll, 25.24 1810, Fawdon, Northumberland Records Office, Watson Coll, 20.9 Tithe Awards, 1841, Fawdon, Northumberland Records Office, DT177 M R. Welford, (date unknown), History of the Parish of Gosforth, 91-100 S. Wrathmell, Unpublished PhD thesis, II, 381-2- Northumberland Records Office Newcastle University Library Ordnance Survey maps, 1st ed., 1:2500, 88.6