Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Newcastle, The Close, wattle-lined pit

Tyne and Wear HER(13526): Newcastle, The Close, wattle-lined pit - Details

Back to Search Results


13526


Newcastle


Newcastle, The Close, wattle-lined pit


Newcastle


NZ26SW


Unassigned


Archaeological Feature


Pit


Early Medieval


C10-11


Physical Evidence


Archaeological excavations in 2003 and 2004 at Nos. 46-54 The Close found a U-shaped arrangement of timber stakes driven into the natural clay. It was open to the north (i.e. away from the river). It measured 1m across. Eight stakes were present, all unworked apart from one which was halved and roughly dressed. Fragments of wickerwork had been wound around the stakes on the eastern side of the structure. Inside the structure they was a deposit of mixed clay, silt and timber fragments which probably post-dated it. Three stakes were removed. Two of these were oak, the third was alder or hazel. The alder or hazel stake still had bark attached which produced a calibrated AMS radiocarbon date of between AD 910 and 920 to between AD 960 and 1030. Originally thought to be a fish weir, the structure is now tentatively interpreted as the base of a wattle-lined pit. Two circular arrangements of stakes of similar dimensions were found in the subsquent archaeological monitoring of a foundation pile trench. These stake features are undated.


249


637


NZ249637



P. Turnbull, Brigantia Archaeological Practice, 2003, Archaeological Evaluation at 46-54 The Close, Newcastle upon Tyne; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2005, 46-54 The Close, Newcastle upon Tyne, archaeological works; D.H. Heslop, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead before AD 1080, in Diana Newton and AJ Pollard (eds), 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead before 1700, page 19; A. Platell from a draft by JL Mole, 2012, Excavations at 46-54 The Close, Newcastle upon Tyne (publication draft); A.C. Platell from a draft by J.L. Mole, 2013, Excavations at 46-54 The Close, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana, Fifth Series, Vol 42, pp 181-206; C.P. graves and D. H. Heslop, 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, The Eye of the North - An Archaeological Assessment, p 85

Back to Search Results