Tyne and Wear HER(1354): Scotswood, park - Details
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
In 1367, Richard, son of John Scot, obtained licence to enclose and make a park of his wood in Benwell called the West Wood containing 200 acres. This is the origin of the name of Scotswood for the west part of Benwell township. The enclosure led to quarrels with the neighbours who broke into the park at intervals in the 14th century to cut down trees, dig up coal, carry off cattle and deer, corn and hay, and take herons from their nests. The park was bounded on its west side by Denton Burn, on the south by the Tyne, and on the south-east by a dyke. Apart from Denton Dene along the west edge, the area is now covered by houses.
<< HER 1354 >> M.H. Dodds, 1930, Benwell Township, Northumberland County History, XIII, 217-18, map between 230-1