Tyne and Wear HER(13549): Monkwearmouth, Bonnersfield, Bromarsh Cinema - Details
Monkwearmouth, Bonnersfield, Bromarsh Cinema
The Monkwearmouth Picture Hall was opened on the 14th May 1906 in Bonnersfield Monkwearmouth. The building had been St Stephen's Chapel and then it housed a waxworks exhibition. The Monkwearmouth Picture Hall was renamed the Bridge Cinema in 1916 and renamed three years later as the Bromarsh when it was taken over by the Marshall Brothers. The cinema was bombed on the 24th May 1943. The site was destroyed by bombs in WWII and has since been built on.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas, Sunderland: Black Cat Publications