Tyne and Wear HER(13550): Southwick, Southwick Road, Cora Picture House - Details
Southwick, Southwick Road, Cora Picture House
The Wheatsheaf Hall at the bottom of Southwick Road and the corner of the Wheatsheaf was taken over by Lough and Richardson in 1906. A year later James Tindle took it over and renamed it the Wheatsheaf Picture Hall it was renamed later as the Coronation Picture Palace after the Coronation of George V and after 1913 became known as the Cora. James Tindle's son, James Jnr inherited it from his father. When James Jnr died his widow Margaret continued to run the cinema. The cinema closed in 1959 and the building demolished in 1982 to make way for road improvements.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas