Tyne and Wear HER(13556): Bishopwearmouth, Crowtree Road, Palace theatre - Details
Bishopwearmouth, Crowtree Road, Palace theatre
Music Speech and Dance Venue
Designed by Thomas Angelo Moore and opened as a Theatre of Varieties by Mr Horace Livermore in August 1891.Due to competition from the newly built Empire Theatre it closed down in 1908 to 1909. It reopened in 1909 with the presentation of Hamilton's Flickerless Pictures. From 1918-1948 it was managed by Mrs Grey, the only woman in the country to hold such a position at that time. The theatre closed on the 1st December 1956 and was left unoccupied until it was demolished in 1973. Crowtree Lesiure Centre was built on the site (now demolished).
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas; Archaeological Research Services, 2015, Crowtree Leisure Centre site, Sunderland - Archaeological Assessment; Plans and Sections at DRO TRM/1/435-452