Tyne and Wear HER(13557): Sunderland, High Street West, Picture House - Details
Sunderland, High Street West, Picture House
The Picture House was situated in High Street West and opened on the 16th December 1912. It became known to the people of the town as "The Ranch" because of the large number of westerns, or cowboy movies, it showed. It was renowned for its sliding roof which was intended to open during hot weather. The Picture House closed on the 30th September 1966 after 54 years. It was demolished shortly after to make way for the new Bridges Shopping precinct.
Anderson, A. (1995) A century of Sunderland Cinemas